For this week’s dinner party with J, I waited until the day of to decide what to make.
I had a craving for steak; I like filets. I don’t eat a lot of red meat, but sometimes I do crave it. Especially when I have been working out a lot, like now.
I found a recipe in “Real Simple” magazine as I was flipping through it for “Rosemary & Orange Scallops”. It looked enticing and I love scallops. It could be grilled along with the filets.
I also found in that same article a new twist on veggie skewers. It was to add slices of lemon. I thought the would be a refreshing taste, so I choose to do it.
I also added a couple of standards: avocado and tomato salad and my quinoa salad.
Everything turned out fabulous and was so yummy!
J said she really enjoyed it – which is always so pleasing to hear. I love to cook, but often don’t have the opportunity to do so for others. Hopefully if I really push this a few times, I can encourage my friends to do more of this with me. It just is always easier to meet at a restaurant, you know?
Here are the recipes:
- Choose filets or steaks of your choice, to your liking
- Salt & Pepper the meat
- Pat fresh garlic into the meat
- Marinate with Lea & Perrins Worchester Sauce (it’s gluten-free!) & olive oil
- I use a Ziploc bag to marinate with
- Marinate for a few hours
- Grill to taste! (I do 5-6 minutes on each side for medium, and let them sit for a few minutes before cutting into them)
- I cooked in a small pan on the grill mixed mushrooms marinated in Lea & Perrins and olive oil & salt & pepper to garnish the filets
Rosemary & Orange Scallops
- I bought a lb of large sea scallops (the recipe called for 1 1/2 lbs to serve 4)
- 1 orange cut into wedges
- I marinated the scallops and oranges in a Ziploc bag with olive oil (recipe says 1/4 cup – I just eye it); rosemary (r: 1 Tbsp m: eye it); orange zest (r: 1 Tbsp m: eye it); salt & pepper for a few hours
- I threaded the scallops and orange wedges on a skewer stick
- I grilled for about 3 minutes on each side
- I threaded tiny potatoes, large mushrooms, sliced red onions and lemon wedges on skewers and grilled for over 20 minutes – honestly it wasn’t long enough for the potatoes – they were a little hard, but good.
Avocado & Tomato Salad
- Chop a firm, and just ripe avocado into cubes
- Slice tomatoes (from my garden!) into wedges
- Red onions
- Squeeze fresh lime over the salad
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Salt & pepper